A Scotsman by the name of Allan originally built this Australian colonial Cottage now the Pokolbin Estate cellar Door in 1889, on a property adjoining the Hunter Valleys first vineyard planted by James Busby in 1831. The old ‘Kirkton’ Vineyard at Lower Belford.
The owners of Pokolbin Estate were anxious to preserve such an historic part of the Hunters heritage. In 1978 they purchased the cottage and moved it to its present site at McDonalds Rd, Pokolbin. Reconstruction was painstakingly carried out by a master stonemason who molded the bricks and appointed every stone to faithfully reproduce it to its original design.
It is perhaps appropriate that a significant aspect of the Hunter’s early settlement is now located in the midst of one of Australia’s premium wine growing areas – the Pokolbin district in the Hunter Valley.